NIST, SES, and Standards Education
In 2011, the Standards Coordination Office of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) began a program of education challenge grants (later to become cooperative agreements) to support the development of new approaches to education about standards in institutes of higher education. The program was initiated for fiscal year 2012 with four grants; for fiscal year 2015 this had grown to seven. Detailed information about the NIST program is available at http://gsi.nist.gov/global/index.cfm/L1-8/L2-55
One of the first year grants was a joint program between SES – the Society for Standards Professionals and Purdue University. One of the byproducts of this work was the creation of a paper describing the work by former Standards Engineering editor Diane Thompson, which was published in the March/April issue of Standards Engineering. This naturally led to the exploration of publishing information about some of the other grants, and has resulted in an organized effort to solicit articles for Standards Engineering from each of the grant recipients. To date nine articles, including an overview paper by Erik Puskar and Mary Jo DiBernardo of NIST, have been published; more are in the pipeline.
Ongoing discussions between NIST and SES suggested that these articles could and should have a wider audience than the membership of SES, and that this would promote SES activities in both publication and education. As a result, the SES Publications Committee agreed to make the papers available on the SES website and available to all. Those papers are listed below (with the issue of publication), and can be downloaded at no charge. SES hopes that this will encourage further research in and awareness of standards education.
· NIST’s Standards Coordination Office: Investing in the Next Generation of Leaders in the Standards Community, Erik Puskar and Mary Jo DiBernardo, NIST (Nov/Dec 2014)
· SES Projects to Integrate Standards in Education Curriculum, Diane C. Thompson, SES (Mar/Apr 2014)
· Standards for Everyone: Mobilizing Interest by Expanding the Agenda, D. Linda Garcia, Georgetown University (Jan/Feb 2015)
· Standards Education in the Liberal Arts: Curricular Materials and Educational Strategies, Paul B. Thompson, John V. Stone, and Lawrence M. Busch, Michigan State University (Jul/Aug 2015)
· Putting Standards in Context, Jeffrey Strauss, Northwestern University (Nov/Dec 2015)
· Standards Education at the University of Pittsburgh, Michael B. Spring, University of Pittsburgh (Nov/Dec 2014)
· Integrating Standards into Courses on High Performance of Garment Protection Systems and Human Protection and Comfort at North Carolina State University, Donald B. Thompson, Roger L. Barker, and Emiel Den Hartog, North Carolina State University (Jan/Feb 2016)
· Standardization, the Humanities, and Design: Strategies for Student Engagement, Andrew L. Russell and Lee Jared Vinsel (May/Jun 2015)
· Measurement Science at the Community College Level: Some Recent Findings, Dave Cunningham, Everett Community College (Jan/Feb 2016)
· Standards in Society: A Critical Research and Curricular Platform at Drexel University, Justin Carone and Amy E. Slaton, Drexel University (Sep/Oct 2016)